Sep 4, 2014

Miranda Lambert continues to follow her heart

Miranda Lambert doesn't care what anyone thinks.

That's part of why she is arguably the finest country singer-songwriter of the last decade.

She couldn't care less about what anyone thinks of her much-written-about marriage to fellow country star Blake Shelton. It’s all about the music for the talented sensation.

The 30-year-old entertainer just follows her heart, whether it’s solo or with the country supergroup Pistol Annies.
Lambert, who will appear Friday at the Susquehanna Bank Center, talks about her image, her latest album, "Platinum" and her favorite show, Oxygen’s creepy “Snapped.”

Q: Part of what plagues country and pop music in general is chasing trends, but you've never done that. You've always appeared to have gone with your gut. Can you detail your approach to songs and production?

A: I always record songs about my life and where it is at the time I’m making the record. I choose to be honest in my music about everything. I feel like that is what people want to hear from me, and it is what I expect from the artists that I listen to and admire. The country music I love is about telling your story.

Q: You range from being badass to an empowering female performer, which is refreshing in this politically correct era. What do you think about your image?

A: My image has evolved over the years. I started out with a bit more of a chip on my shoulder, but as the years have gone by, I find myself a little more mellow. When you are 20 years old, you set out with so many goals and so much to prove. At 30, now I have reached a lot of goals and can relax a little more. But that being said, I still have a fire inside. I love music. I will be doing this forever.

Q: "Bathroom Sink" is the standout "Platinum" track. You wrote that one by your lonesome. Can you detail the inspiration?

A: I wrote the lyrics on a plane by myself. I was headed to the northeast coast for a show. The words just kind of came to me. When I landed, I grabbed the guitar on my bus and wrote the melody. It didn’t become that kind of a rocker until we got in the studio. I love the way it turned out. That song is raw and real.

Q: With "Bathroom Sink" and other songs you've recorded like it, they're tough but also show vulnerability. How hard is that to pull off?

A: It’s a little bit scary to be that honest at times. But if I don’t have one or two of those moments on my record, where I just really get down
to the nitty-gritty, I don’t feel like I let people in. And that’s what it’s about — letting people know you as an artist.

Q: “Platinum” is a great title since we live in an age in which everything you want is platinum — platinum blond hair, platinum credit card, platinum album, etc. Was that what inspired the song?

A: The song is meant to be fun. But, yes, of course, why not shoot for it all? It is one of these songs the girls can rock out to and not take themselves too seriously.

Q: Does it ever bug you that as much is written about you and your husband as your music?

A: Not anymore. That is just part of it, I guess. We get a good laugh out of it.

Q: Will you and Blake ever tour like Faith (Hill) and Tim (McGraw) and Garth (Brooks) and Trisha (Yearwood)? Is that inevitable or will you continue going out on your own?

A: For now, we are happy where we are in our separate careers. But it would be fun to be together doing what we love. Who knows ... maybe someday?

Q: What's next for the Pistol Annies?

A: Each of us (Lambert, Ashley Monroe and Angaleena Presley) have just completed or are in the process of completing our solo albums. Between promoting them and touring on our own, we haven’t made any plans at this point. That is what I love about the Annies. We can just kinda go with the flow and see where the music leads. It’s a no-pressure kinda thing.

Q: Did you appear in “Law and Order” because you're a fan?

A: Yes. I was so scared to act, but I got to meet the whole cast and crew. It was so fun!

Q: Will you act again?

A: If I do, it will be a small part in something. I love music and that is always my first priority. And let’s be honest: My accent is pretty-thick East Texan, so it would have to be a specific role.

Q: The word is that you love the Oxygen show "Snapped." My wife loves that show, as well. Do I have anything to worry about?

A: (Laughs) Blake asked that very question! I do watch the marathons ....

Q: You've accomplished so much by 30. What do you dream of accomplishing?

A: I want to keep making music that moves people. I want to make sure that I have time to live a life outside of work and enjoy my family and husband and hobbies, as well. I have businesses outside of my music that I am very involved in and I love watching them continue to grow.

Q: What accomplishment are you most proud of?

A: Muttnation Foundation. We have done some amazing things to help shelter pets and rescue animals and I’m very proud of that. I look forward to more great success stories to come with all of our endeavors as a foundation. We have recently taken over the city shelter in Tishomingo, where Blake and I live, and are renovating it right now. Helping animals is one of my passions.

Q: What do you do to relax?

A: Hang out with my husband and our six rescue dogs on our farm in Oklahoma. I also recently started taking English riding lessons. I love it. It is a challenge for me yet also relaxing because I get to be with horses and good people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts