Ever wish you could access some files on your work computer when you’re sitting in your home office? Need a report from your home computer that’s due in class? You can configure your computers to be accessible anywhere in the world, from virtually any other computer. There are a variety of ways to do this, including built-in tools, downloadable programs, and browser-based solutions. Read on after the jump to learn how.
How to Access Another Computer from Your Computer Using Windows Remote Desktop
How to Access Another Computer from Your Computer Using TeamViewer for Any System
1. Install the Remote Desktop Chrome extension. You can find this in the Google Chrome web store, and it is a free download. Be sure to only install the extension from the Google Chrome team.
- You will need to install the Chrome extension on the computer you want to connect to and the computer you are connecting from.
- You can install the Chrome extension on Windows, Mac and Linux computers, and virtually any modern version can run it.
3. Create a PIN. As an extra layer of security, you can create a PIN that will be required whenever you start a connection. This will help protect your computer even if someone is able to compromise your Google account.
4. Install the components. Once you create your PIN, the remote connection software will be installed on the computer. You may need to accept these installations, depending on the security settings on your computer.
5. Disable Sleep mode. You will not be able to connect to a computer that is Sleeping or in Hibernate. Make sure to disable these if you want to connect remotely.
- Open the Control Panel and then select Power Options. You may have to switch views to see the icon.
- Click the “Change plan settings” link next to your active plan.
- Set Sleep and Hibernate to Never. Click the “Save changes” button when you are finished.
- You will only be able to choose computers that you have previously linked with your Google account.
- Click the Disconnect button in the top menu to end the connection.
- Use the Send Keys button to send key commands to the remote computer, such as Ctrl + Alt + Del and Print Screen.
- In order for downloading and installing Google Chrome Remote Desktop, you must download and install Google Chrome (PC/Mac/Linux version). More at https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95346?hl=id&ref_topic=14660
Like on Facebook
Follow on Twitter
Add on Google+